Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Autobiography of Malcolm X review

After reading the ‘Autobiography of Malcolm X’ many of you may think that I have converted to the nation of Islam, or become a ‘Black Muslim’ or have simply just become a black man that hates white people. Let me say now that that is far from the truth. I am a Christian, who still believes in Jesus Christ (who of course was a black man) and I am devout in my faith…, no book could change that except for the Bible.

Although, I must say that the autobiography of brother Malcolm has forever changed my point of view on not only America but on the world.

I will be the first afro-american to say that I honestly do love America. This is the land where I was born, where I grew up, this is all I know…, but at the same time I am fully well aware of the struggle that every child with dark complexioned skin is born with. It does not matter if you are black, brown, red, or yellow; if you are not white then the deck is stacked against you, especially if you reside within the United States of America; the land where the native american’s were destroyed, the land where Asian immigrants where exploited, the land where people with white skin were welcomed openly ‘Give us your sick, your tired, your poor…, blah, blah, blah…, this is the land where dreams come true.

But do not get me wrong; although I respect the brother Malcolm and wish I could have gotten a chance to sit down and meet this strong black man, I am not against white people or for black separatism. I am for the unity of the human race. The bible teaches that we are all brothers and sisters, regardless of race, creed, color or religious belief. So even though a person may be a different religion from myself, that does not mean that people who worship different religions do not have something that they can learn from one another. Just because a person is different from you on the outside, does not mean that you do not share common traits on the inside.

One of my major take-aways from this book was the sad fact that the brother Malcolm was so fully entrenched within the Nation of Islam to the point of being a puppet; after reading about this mans journey through life, from a small town in Michigan to the Big Apple then to prison and lastly rising to the heights of international sensation. There are major forces in this world that are both good and evil. We as human beings need to open our eyes and think critically before it is too late. 

By Andre Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment